Betr.: [clean-list] Combine two library versions in one executable?

Paul de Mast demast.pjf at avans.nl
Tue Feb 22 11:42:30 MET 2005

Hello Erik,

You forget one option:

3b) Clean implements name spaces. So both versions can be imported into
your comparison-program without renaming of functions.

Rinus once told me that adding 'name spaces'  in Clean should not be a
lot of work. Then it is a matter of priority I guess or is there a more
fundamental reason? So we users, might ask to give it higher priority.
It is also on the wish list of Marco Kesseler. I  support this wish.

regards,

Paul de Mast

>>> "Erik Zuurbier" <erik.zuurbier at tiscali.nl> 22-2-2005 11:00 >>>
Dear Cleaners,

I have a libray version that I consider semantically correct (actually
it
is a parser combinator library), but it is not optimally efficient.

And then I have a second version that exports exactly the same
functions
and types. This version is faster but considerably more complicated.
But
is it semantically correct?

I would like to test that by running a number of actual parsers, each
compiled
twice - with both library versions. Then I would like to compare the
results
and list the differences. Call it model checking if you like.

In Clean I see the following options:
1) Actually compile the testware twice - with different path settings
and
have them write the results to two files (possibly with Dynamics). Then
compare
the two files with a third program.
2) Instead of files, somehow use messaging to feed parse results to the
comparison
program. This may be a bit more complicated, but it does not require
disk
space proportional to the test set size.
3) Rename all the exported items of one of the library versions, so
both
versions can be imported into one comparision-program. Formulate two
versions
of each actual parser to be tested.

Neither of these options attract me very much. Is there some way
(fiddling
with the path settings?) to combine two versions of a library into one
executable?

Regards Erik Zuurbier

Je eigen persoonlijk e-mailadres bij Tiscali? Registreer nu
een domeinnaam bij Tiscali. Ga naar http://www.tiscali.nl