[clean-list] Re: Clean and the Open-Source community

Arjen van Weelden A.vanWeelden at cs.ru.nl
Fri Jan 21 10:37:11 MET 2005

Geoffrey Plitt wrote:
> I'm also a Clean enthusiast. I'd love to contribute to this project if
> it became more active in the open source communities, and get more
> ports in working order. Keep those releases coming! Any schedule
> estimates?
>
> Question: When you say "Hilde" is only compatible with certain OSes, I
> am confused. Do you mean it only _builds_ on certain OSes?
>
> Geoff

[snip]

(Arnout did not say that, I did.)

Hilde only links on Windows because her code refers to symbols in the
Windows system libraries. Since it also uses those functions/symbols, it
will only run on Windows. Replacing the Windows system calls with, for
example, Linux system calls should be easy.

The main problem is this:
Due to lack of dynamic I/O and linking, the Esther shell cannot read or
write dynamic files and the Famke kernel cannot start, or communicate
with, other processes because it cannot transfer code to other
processes. This makes Hilde severely crippled and unworkable because she
cannot perform her main tasks.

regards,
	Arjen