[clean-list] future of clean

rinus plasmeijer rinus at cs.ru.nl
Thu Jan 20 12:30:54 MET 2005

Dear Guido,

Clean is reasonably stable, so we did not feel a real urge to publish a new
system.

Furthermore, you have to understand that our work is primarily focussed on
research and on papers.
As a side-effect of our research, things change in Clean, the compiler, and
libraries.
Whenever we make a release we want it to be stable and that takes time.

We are just about to release a new version of Clean.
Furthermore we have changed the way releases are produced such that
in the future it should become easier for us to make a new stable release.
So I hope that we can update the system more frequently.

The new system will among others include
- Hilde (Arjen's van Weelden prtotype functional operating system)
- support for the dynamic creation of generic functions
- a new parser combinator library made by Erik Zuurbier
- a GEC library for generating editors

We are working on a 64 bit version of the system, but this will not be included
in the next release yet.

Greetings,

Rinus