[clean-list] future of clean

Guido Kollerie gkoller at inter.nl.net
Wed Jan 19 09:26:33 MET 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:21:33PM +0100, Dieter wrote:

> I am a bit troubled by the latest clean development.
> The point is: Is there still a development of clean?

I had similar concerns in the beginning of 2003, though they
were soothed at the time when I took a course at the Radboud
University Nijmegen and got the impression Clean was actively
worked on.

However if one only has the frequency of the releases of the
Clean system to go by, the frequency of updates to the Clean
webpage, or its documentation, one might get the impression that
Clean is not actively worked on. It doesn't help either that
there isn't an active user community around Clean. The number of
questions posted to this list is extremely low, especially when
compared to the Haskell or Ocaml mailinglists for instance.

It's somewhat of a chicken and egg problem. What's the incentive
for the Clean team to make many incremental releases of the Clean
system, actively maintain the webpage and the documentation if
there are very few users? Conversely why would users choose Clean
as a language for application development if the language is in a
(superficially) dormant state?

--
Guido