[clean-list] Can't create abc file?

Matthew mfn-clean at cs.york.ac.uk
Sat Nov 27 14:18:07 MET 2004

Hi,

> clm -nw -b pascal -o pascal
> Compiling pascal
> Compiling StdEnv
> Error [StdEnv,<open file>]: Can't create abc file (disk full?)
> make: *** [pascal] Error 1

It could be that you have installed Clean, as root, in a publicly
readable (but not writable) directory.  The compiler is trying to
compile StdEnv, but can't, since it doesn't have write access to the
library directory.  Here are a few possible solutions that I am aware
of:

  1. Compile your program as root.  Once the libraries have been
     compiled once, they won't ever need to be compiled again
     (provided that you don't make any changes to them!)

  2. Install Clean in a directory that you have write access to.

  3. Change the permissions on Clean library directory, so that you do
     have write access.

There may be other (better) solutions, in which case I too eagerly
await a further response!

All the best.

--
Matthew