[clean-list] =?iso-8859-1?Q?1=2E_About_textual_order_again,_2=2E_An_IDE_bug??=

clean-list.mail.zooloo@xoxy.net clean-list.mail.zooloo@xoxy.net
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:58:01 +0200

1. Thanks everyone for the helping answers to my question. Well, since
noone really *has to* take seriously what a noob like me thinks of a
language, I'll go straight ahead to tell you something ... he, he :)
(I am sorry not to mention all the great stuff. In fact, learning Clean
makes me "wow" again and again - I am deeply impressed by the concise
syntax and the clear language concept as far as I got to know it yet.
But that's why the (few) flaws stand out more.)

I don't really like that "textual order preference" convention. To my
view, it doesn't fit to what I got as "the Clean taste", since it
allows contradictory statements within the same scope, creating a
considerable difference between what is meant and what it appears like.
It implies some kind of "semantic side effect", doesn't it? There seems
to be no explicit assignation of preference to any definition.
Moreover, the textual order preference rule apparently is not applied
universally. For instance, the compiler complains about

	double :: Int -> Int
	double m = 2*m

	double :: Int -> Int
	double m = 3*m ,

while

	double m = 2*m
	double m = 3*m .

seems to be ok.

At which levels textual order determines preference and at which it
doesn't? Obviously not even at topmost level of a module, all
statements have to be valid.

2. Today I suppose to have encountered a bug in CleanIDE 2.1 for windows
(at win2k):

After compiling and running a little test program (which worked very
slowly but ok, in a later version I could make it much faster), I
wanted to have a look at the heap profiles. However, the viewer got
sick of each of the corresponding hcl files I tried to open:

test0 Heap Profile0.hcl -> ShowHeapProfile closes immediately.

test0 Heap Profile1.hcl -> A console window is opened, saying
"compute_size_graph_by_node_kind: string constant",
while ShowHeapProfile falls into trance. When I click any key to close
the console window, ShowHeapProfile closes as well.

test0 Heap Profile2.hcl -> Same as for the previous one, except the
console message is "compute_size_graph_by_node_kind: string
constant614445".

Shall I post the program and/or the hcl file(s) here?

Best regards,
zooloo