[clean-list] lazy dynamics

F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 06:38:22 UT

--_----------=_1034059102102270

Hi Clean,

I read the recent paper about lazy dynamics. Amazing stuff. If I understood it correctly, dynamics are now able to point inside other dynamics, skipping the type pattern matching mechanism.

I wonder if you can do that safely though. Files are still files and they could be from any source. So if one dynamic expects to be pointing at an object of type, say, Real, how can it ever be sure that that is still the case at runtime?

Also, I suspect that these pointers inside dynamics create a garbage collection problem. If one file points inside another, who is going to decide when to delete the latter? And how is the user prevented from deleting a file anyway?

By the way, I assumed that pointers from dynamics to dynamics can go from one file to another. Maybe the problems would not be so serious if pointers should all be within one file.

Regards Erik Zuurbier
--_----------=_1034059102102270--