[clean-list] Q: DOES YOUR FOREIGN ACCENT SIMPLY GET IN THE WAY?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:00:20 +0200

Sarah Benson wrote:

> Q: " Would you like to Lose Your Accent ? "

Sure! How to stop speaking Clean with a visible Haskell accent and
vice-versa?

> - DO YOU FIND OTHERS HAVE A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU ARE TRYING
> TO CONVEY?

Sure! But the reason is simple, I have two adult daughters!

> - DO YOU FIND THE NEED TO REPEAT YOURSELF FOR OTHERS TO UNDERSTAND YOU CLEARLY?

Indeed. And with age it is with age it is progressing indeed, with age,
indeed, it is progressing.

> - DO YOU FEEL EMBARRASSED OR LESS CONFIDENT WHEN TALKING TO WORK COLLEAUGES?

Depends. Work or sex?

> - DO YOU WISH TO COMMUNICATE YOUR THOUGHTS MORE EFFECTIVELY?

Oh no, I am not *SO* stupid.

> - DOES YOUR FOREIGN ACCENT SIMPLY GET IN THE WAY?

Weeeelll. Benoit Mandelbrot was born in Warsaw, educated in France, lives
in US. He - when I met him - spoke English with Polish accent, French with
English accent, and he didn't speak Polish at all. And it was really great!

I have an immense pleasure in speaking Portuguese with a Russian accent.

Thank you for this moment of pure joy in the middle of my exam session.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk