[clean-list] Boostrapping Clean 2.0.1 on Linux

Karl Trygve Kalleberg karltk@prosalg.no
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:50:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello list,

I have been attempting to boostrap Clean 2.0.1 from sources on Linux.
Compiling cocl, cg, clm and fclc was easy enough by bootstrapping off
a binary image.

The problem I am experiencing is that I cannot seem to find any makefiles
or shell scripts in the sources that will build the libraries that come
with the binary release.

It would appear that the magic is in the .prj files, but I cannot find
any (command-line) tools in the source tree willing to parse them.

Furthermore, the man page for clm does not appear in the sources release,
which leads me to believe that the Linux binary release is not generated
directly from the available sources.

I would like to be able to package Clean for the Gentoo Linux
distribution (http://www.gentoo.org), which currently runs on x86, ppc,
sparc and sparc64.

Apparently, it will only be possible to get Clean running on the x86
version, unless the 2.x compiler can bootstrap using the 1.3 compiler,
_and_ the 1.3 compiler can be (freely) compiled from sources on ppc, sparc
and sparc64.

Kind regards,

Karl T