[clean-list] newbie

F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net
Tue, 7 May 2002 06:55:57 UT

--_----------=_1020754557298160

Jafar wrote:

> I am looking for a concurrent programming language to
> implement some mobile agent simulation. I skimmed
> through the pdf documents that come with the Clean
> download, as well as the language report, but I could
> not find anything that said directly: "Clean can be
> used to make concurrent processes." I believe that it
> can be done, but I would like confirmation before I go
> about studying the language. If it can be done, what
> is the maximum number of concurrent processes that can
> be programmed?

'Concurrent' has been in the name for years now. There have been attempts in the past to really implement this, but current versions of the language - outside the laboratory - don't support parallelism or even interleaved processing. The attempts aimed at concurrency that was indicated to the compiler by annotations. The annotation {P} would indicate that the following expression was to be evaluated on a different processor. {I} meant that the expression was to be evaluated in an interleaved way on the same processor. Although this has advantages also on a semantic level, I believe itis very low (if at all) on Nijmegen's priority list.

Regards Erik Zuurbier

--_----------=_1020754557298160--