[clean-list] Re: Prospects for Unicode Support?

Wlngg@aol.com Wlngg@aol.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:31:58 EDT

--part1_3b.25110e8a.29e8ac4e_boundary

19940804-2

Hi All!

Marco Kesseler wrote:

<just to promote a bit of my own code: the 'Function Fragments' code=20
on the Clean download pages contains a tiny bit of Unicode stuff.=20
Obviously it does not contain true Unicode literals, but it does=20
contain a conversion from/to ASCII (which is quite straightforward).=20
There are also some encoding functions.

It is not much, and has not been tested thoroughly, but it's a start.

See
- Library/Base/Chars/UniChar
- Library/Encoding>

Thanks; I will have a look.

<<>basis, users could develop specific IO or other libraries as needed,=20
leading=20
>to their incremental integration and the transition of Clean towards a trul=
y=20
>global development environment, in say ten or twenty years time ...

I seriously don't think that it will take that long :-)>

In the ten years since its launch, Clean has undoubtedly made great progress=
.=20
But If we have to extrapolate from what we have witnessed so far, I think=20
another ten years is not unreasonable in view of the complexities of the=20
tasks ahead. Of course, we can be more optimistic.

Best regards.

Wel=E9 Negga=20

--part1_3b.25110e8a.29e8ac4e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>19940804-2
<BR>
<BR>Hi All!
<BR>
<BR><B>Marco Kesseler wrote:
<BR>
<BR>&lt;just to promote a bit of my own code: the 'Function Fragments' code=20
<BR>on the Clean download pages contains a tiny bit of Unicode stuff.=20
<BR>Obviously it does not contain true Unicode literals, but it does=20
<BR>contain a conversion from/to ASCII (which is quite straightforward).=20
<BR>There are also some encoding functions.
<BR>
<BR>It is not much, and has not been tested thoroughly, but it's a start.
<BR>
<BR>See
<BR>- Library/Base/Chars/UniChar
<BR>- Library/Encoding&gt;</B>
<BR>
<BR>Thanks; I will have a look.
<BR>
<BR><B>&lt;&lt;&gt;basis, users could develop specific IO or other libraries=
 as needed, leading=20
<BR>&gt;to their incremental integration and the transition of Clean towards=
 a truly=20
<BR>&gt;global development environment, in say ten or twenty years time ...
<BR>
<BR>I seriously don't think that it will take that long :-)&gt;</B>
<BR>
<BR>In the ten years since its launch, Clean has undoubtedly made great prog=
ress. But If we have to extrapolate from what we have witnessed so far, I th=
ink another ten years is not unreasonable in view of the complexities of the=
 tasks ahead. Of course, we can be more optimistic.
<BR>
<BR>Best regards.
<BR>
<BR>Wel=E9 Negga=20