[clean-list] Re: Prospects for Unicode Support?

Marco Kesseler m.wittebrood@mailbox.kun.nl
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:35:03 +0200

Hi Welé,

>The Clean development team are best placed to answer the feasibility issues
>of the extension of Clean. To begin with, the possibility of addressing all
>Unicode characters together with basic operations should be
>provided; on this

<advertising>

just to promote a bit of my own code: the 'Function Fragments' code
on the Clean download pages contains a tiny bit of Unicode stuff.
Obviously it does not contain true Unicode literals, but it does
contain a conversion from/to ASCII (which is quite straightforward).
There are also some encoding functions.

It is not much, and has not been tested thoroughly, but it's a start.

See
- Library/Base/Chars/UniChar
- Library/Encoding

</advertising>

>basis, users could develop specific IO or other libraries as needed, leading
>to their incremental integration and the transition of Clean towards a truly
>global development environment, in say ten or twenty years time ...

I seriously don't think that it will take that long :-)

regards,
Marco