[clean-list] academic use of Clean

Frank Dellaert frank@cc.gatech.edu
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 07:08:49 -0500

It seems that adding an interpreter window to the CleanIDE a la Hugs that
uses the declarations modules in the current project should be very
straightforward, no ? I'm currently deciding whether to use OCaml, Haskell
or Clean in a course I'm teaching this spring, and the absense of an
interpreter is a significant disadvantage to using Clean as an educational
platform.

As an aside (and risking the wrath of many on this list, in all likelihood)
I would concentrate on Intel/Linux rather than Mac support if academic
penetration is a goal. You could then do other nice things like providing a
foreign interface to the Intel Performance Libraries (BLAS, LAPACK, IPL,
etc...), and target the code generation part to one processor architecture
for increased performance.

Cheers
Frank Dellaert
CoC@Georgia-Tech