[clean-list] Clean and scientific programming

Monique Wittebrood & Marco Kesseler m.wittebrood@mailbox.kun.nl
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:56:45 +0200

Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote (amongst others):
>I must say that I use Clean for some years regularly, mainly for teaching
>and around. I wrote a silly paper on modelling of 3D objects using Clean,
>showing how to operate with higher-order functions to implement extrusions,
>distortions, etc., all parametric stuff, in a very elegant and compact way.
>I partly suggested to Thorsten Zoerner the idea of using the functional style
>to parameterize implicit surfaces. My students wrote a working ray tracer
>in Clean, and I wrote a package for the generation of procedural shaders
>for such an engine. I rewrote in Clean my stuff for doing lazy automatic
>differentiation, including differential forms. All that remains somewhere
>on my disks, and so what?

[...and a little bit further...]

>   "Currently most applications of Clean are in rather technical areas
>    (control systems, measurement tools, simulators, compilers,
>    etc.) and in GUI-programs (editors, development tools, etc.). This
>    has two reasons. First, ..."
>I want to scream: I DON'T CARE ABOUT REASONS! Tell me where are those
>applications! I want to inspire myself from concrete examples, the
>existing (IO tutorial, GameLib, MolVac...) are duly acknowledged, but
>I want more, especially those simulators and compilers.

I think you certainly have a point. However, if you have got some programs
lying around on your disk, why not improve the situation and share them
with us all? I visited your homepage, but could not quite figure out where
to look (and my French is a bit rusty too).

regards,
Marco Kesseler