[clean-list] Re: File Reader Combinators

Marco Kesseler M.Kesseler@aia.nl
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:29:58 +0200

> > 2) Dynamics will probably only able to read files that were created by
> writing a Dynamic. I don't expect Dynamics to use some XML, EDIFACT, or any
> other standard format.
>
> > 3) What I read about Dynamics did not mention error checking and
> reporting. What if a 10 MB Dynamic has suffered some crippling somewhere?
> Will I get some details about the error? If not from the regular dynamic
> reader function, will some utility-program be able to
> analyze Dynamics?
>
> There exist conversion functions from a dynamic to a string and vice versa.
> So if you need to put and extract the encoded dynamic
> in and from the format you want to use.

Yes, but this is different than using a standard to encode
dynamics. The main question is not so much how to put a some
string representation of a dynamic inside a standard format, but
rather how to use a standard for representing dynamic structures.

> Error handling is supported but only minimally at the language level.
>
> At the moment there is a utility to show dynamics which also does some error
> checking. This utility will probably be extended to do
> extensive error checking.

I do not know to what extent standard Clean has been used for
reading/writing dynamics, but it would be interesting to have such
code out in the open, or at least to provide some 'hooks' for fine-
tuning its behaviour.

regards,
Marco Kesseler

Aia                                     Phone: +31 24 371 02 30
PO Box 38025                            Fax:   +31 24 371 02 31
6503 AA Nijmegen                        Email: M.Kesseler@aia.nl
The Netherlands                         URL:   http://www.aia.nl
This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are adressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify
the postmaster (postmaster@aia.nl). The authenticity of this
message cannot, at this moment, be guaranteed by ourselves. For this
reason no legal rights may be granted should the contents differ to
the original sent message. The Aia log-file of sent messages is
deemed to be the sole, true transcript of communication unless the
contrary, other than the received message, can be proven.