[clean-list] Problem with "Small Examples"

Maarten de Mol maartenm@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:59:12 +0200

Hello Brian,

> Hi folks,
>
> I've just started looking at Clean.  I've downloaded v1.3 for Windows
> and Mac).
>
> On the Windows version, I've had problems running the "Small Examples".
> I follow the procedure below:
>
> Double click on one of the small exampes: e.g. hamming.icl
> The IDE opens up with the code for hamming.icl in a window.
> Click on the "Update and Run" button.
> I get back:
> "Error: [.icl,<module>]: could not be opened"

When you want to compile a program in the IDE, you should create
a project for it. I usually do the following:
(1) open the .icl file in the IDE (you have done that already);
(2) create a new project (while the window with the .icl file is
    active) by choosing 'New Project' from the file menu;
(3) select the proper 'Environment' from its menu
    (on a new installation the environment 'StdEnv' should work);
(4) Do an 'Update and Run'.

This should do the trick. The error you got implies that an (imported)
module could not be found; this is solved by the 'search paths' which
are set in a project or environment.

> I've tried three or four of the small examples, and this behaviour is
> consistent.

At least it's consistent ;-)

> Any help would be great!
>
> Thanks.