[clean-list] Clean 2 compiler, OIO, Linux graphics

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:57:48 +1200 (NZST)

Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@freki.otago.ac.nz>, explaining that he does not
use Windows (and I must say that not using Windows has kept a smile on my
face and a song in my heart for Lo! these many years) suggested that

	"it would be nice if Clean supported graphics programming [for
	UNIX], and that means picking a toolkit."

I would like to urge the Clean team NOT to worry about which Linux kit to
use.  O'CAML manages to support graphics programming very nicely thank you
without any of that stuff, just Tk.  I find Clean a splendid language for
non-graphic programming on Solaris, and would regard any Linux-specific
solution with dismay.  It might be worth noting that Squeak, an Open Source
Smalltalk system, manages to be portable to MacOS, Windows, UNIX (several
kinds) and a wide array of hand-held devices *without* depending on GNOME,
KDE, Qt, or any such thing.  (Ok, cross-platform sound isn't so good.)
Squeak makes a pretty decent multiplatform multimedia environment; since it
is Open Source, nothing stops the Clean team stealing any ideas that may be
useful.