[clean-list] Clean 2.0 compiler ?

John van Groningen johnvg@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:39:24 +0200

Brian Rogoff wrote:
>Why not just release the core language compiler without all of this
>stuff?

Because it is not finished, there are still a few small things that need to be
implemented and the compiler is not yet reliable enough.

>Apparently, there are a few people who are using Clean on Unix or
>Linux, and since those people won't get any of this stuff even when you
>do release Clean 2.0, there is no point in making them wait for
>things that they'll never get.

Those people can already get this stuff by using Clean 1.3.3.

>Besides, it is the Linux community that is
>most likely to be helpful with your manpower problem.
>
>It's very strange to me that all of this work is going on for the Mac when
>some Clean folks mentioned that there were "far more" Linux users. I guess
>you must use Macs a lot at K.U.N. Unfortunately (for Clean), it means that
>Unix and Linux users are really better served by other language
>implementations in spite of Clean's excellence as a language design.

There are recently more people who download Clean for linux than Clean for
the mac, but a few years ago this was not the case. Therefore we already have
an implementation of Object IO for the mac, and not for linux. And it is a
lot less work to port ObjectIO 1.2 to the mac if you already have Object IO
1.1 for the mac, than it is to completely implement Object IO for linux. Also
there is still not a single standard gui toolkit for linux. If we would
choose the wrong one, we probably have to start over again in a couple years.

Regards,
John van Groningen