[clean-list] Refactoring Clean Applications

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Fri, 04 May 2001 11:00:59 +0200

> Erik Zuurbier wrote :
>
> Dear Cleaners,
>
> I have developed quite a number of toy applications in Clean, and I loved
> doing it. Gradually, the applications get connected: I reuse parts I have
> developed earlier.

> But somehow, I believe that a future IDE could have features that
> * help me to keep an overview of my modules, projects, call graphs of projects
>
> * warn me when I try to make any change that damages other projects
> * list which import statements and file paths have become obsolete
>
> Have you run into the same problems? Do you have any ideas about how to solve
> them?

Yes. Maestro, from my perspective this is an Egyptian plague which has
nothing to do (or almost) with Clean or any other language or its IDE,
unless you want to transform IDEs in comprehensive database managers.
Adding UML, semantic networks, and God knows what more...

This *IS* possible, and maybe it has some future, but I don't think that
it would be useful for a typical user.

Use CVS or other source maintenance system. Make sure that IDE sees only
something more or less clean.

This is a personal viewpoint, and I won't defend it too strongly.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France