[clean-list] Clean on Unix

Brian Rogoff bpr@best.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:52:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
    I had a discussion with my manager this morning about using Clean
in some projects (I'm fortunate enough to work for a manager who knows a
lot about FP :), and during that conversation the big sticking point was
the fact that Unix is a second class citizen in the Clean world. Is there
any hope that things will get better? After scanning some of the mail from
last year I get the impression that the answer is "no", that Unixes are
strictly a sideshow and Clean is mostly Windows/Mac oriented.

    IMO this situation is unfortunate, since Unixes appear to dominate the
scientific and engineering software markets, which, while small, are more
likely to appreciate the benefits of a language like Clean.

    Please, no OS flames, all OSes suck, I'm just curious about whether
I can make a good case for using Clean in a Unix (Solaris/Linux/maybe
HPUX) environment in the future or not.

-- Brian