[clean-list] Re: Clean.

Zeno zenem@earthlink.net
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:37:18 -0800

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:03:23 +0100, you wrote:

>At 09:29 7-1-01 -0800, Zeno wrote:
>
>>Why does the program slow down so much when other windows are open or
>>when moving around in the menu?  Does this mean that if I have a
>>program running a process and someone opens (and leaves open) another
>>window, the background process will slow to a snail's pace?
>
>The program slows down due to a combination of menu selection and the =
way=20
>we have implemented timers. Fixing this behaviour hasn't had a high=20
>priority, so you may want to consider this to be an "undocumented=20
>feature"... It does not affect other applications running on your =
system,=20
>just the application of which you are selecting a menu.

The timer doesn't just slow down when in a menu, but the whole time
the 'About' dialog box is open.  That Timers don't time accurately in
a concurrent language when multiple windows are open seems strange to
me, but if it is a low-priority undocumented feature, all I can assume
is that a timer in Concurrent Clean is not used the same as I have
used them in imperative languages.  But this is all strange to me, as
I am just learning functional programming.  (Even implementing a timer
in a language that does not specify the order of evaluation or whether
everything is evaluated boggles my mind, but I seem to be consistently
boggled with this new (to me) paradigm.)

>>Also, the balls move in a white area surrounded by a dark gray area.
>>The dark gray area is inconsistent.  It is always different at the
>>lower right of window B, and different about 50% of the time at the
>>bottom of window A.  I assume the bottom of the windows should look
>>just like the top, which is the case half of the time in window A.  Is
>>this a bug in the windowing routines?  (I will be happy to shrink some
>>images of what I am seeing and send them if it will help.)
>
>This is a known bug that we have fixed in our local new version of the=20
>Object I/O library. I can't predict when this new version will be=20
>distributed, but it will be announced on the clean mailing list.

Thanks for the info, and the quick response.

- Zeno