[clean-list] Passing an environment around

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Romildo_Malaquias?= romildo@urano.iceb.ufop.br
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:47:46 -0200

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 11:12:53AM +0200, F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net wrote:
> Jose,
> You say that it is highly desirable to be able to make 'add' a
> (binary) infix operator. Is that so highly desirable that you
> are willing to wait for things (memoization, implicit parameters)
> that you know are not going to get within a couple of years?

I do not know the plans for Clean. I would like to hear from
the Clean implementors on that. Even if things like these have
not been thought before. Maybe there is something in this
direction in their agenda. Maybe these things will never get
into the language.

> I can think of another possibility you may have to wait for:
> If in current Clean you can make * or + an infix operator,
> why can't I make (add env) an infix operator? Or maybe I CAN,
> I have not tried.

This possibility looks good to me. But I could not find a way
of making an expression an infix operator, like you sugest.
I am not sure whether Clean support it. Maybe somebody with
deeper knowledge of the language would comment on that.

If not supported, would it be possible to be supported in
future versions of Clean? Certainly it should be of easier
implementation than momoization and implicit parameters.
What the Cleam team has to say about this possibility?

> Regards Erik Zuurbier

Thanks for your comments.

Romildo
--