some thoughts on Clean 2.0

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:14:14 +0100

You really think that conversion from Haskell to Clean is easy??

Hmmmm.

I had some problems with the type checker. (Too long to describe
it here, but I will package one day all my griefs. To prevent
misunderstanding: *no bugs*, just different behaviour).

The default definitions within classes in Haskell was always
something I liked. They do not work in Clean. Those :== macros
are not as useful.

Since I work in the domain of scientific computing, I need very
often to lift automatically numeric constants to some more exotic
domains. In Clean there is no implicit fromReal etc.

This *is* a different language. I like it and I use it, but I do
not believe that it might replace Haskell.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France