different heap usage between different Window OS

Martin Wierich martinw@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:09:31 +0200

Hi Paul,

Paul de Mast wrote:
> For a certain Clean program I noticed a huge difference in heap use between
> Windows NT and Windows 95/98: on NT the program uses around 1.9M of heap and
> on WIndows 95/98 around 3.4M of heap.

Did you measure the difference with the same executable? How did you measure the heap usage? With the information given
by the heap profiler? Of course also different program input used in the test cases can make a difference.

> I have not yet tested if the
> significant difference shows up for other Clean applications, but maybe one
> of the Clean implementors can tell if in general heap use is significant
> lower on Windows NT in comparison with Windows 95/98 and why?

The heap usage should definitely not diverge that much under both OS.

greetings
  Martin Wierich
  University of Nijmegen