Clean, Java and the Microsoft ".NET" platform...

larisys larisys@larisys.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:22:08 +0200

We are a high-tech electronics company planning to use modern higher-order
lazy functional languages with static polymorphic typing and modular
compilation for the development of our new softwares. As Windows is the
main platform we are targeting, we are at the moment favoring Clean over
Haskell98 because of the ease of use and setup of the compiler and IDE on
Windows platform.

We are presently learning the language and experimenting with the
educational-licence free compiler v1.3.2 and find both to be excellent
tools. We are worried, however, about investing money and software
development effort in a proprietary language that is not supported by a big
company, nor backed by a large base of user's as are open source projects
such as Haskell98.

In a private mail reply, Pr. Rinus Plasmeijer explained that the sources of
the Clean 2.0 compiler would be open source. If such is indeed the case,
needless to say that we will adopt the tool.

Can the Clean development staff give us some date for the delivery of the
new Clean 2.0 compiler, and its status as an available free open source
software ?

A related question concerns the availability of back-ends for the Clean
compiler for the following platforms :
SUN's Java Virtual Machine.
Microsoft's ".NET" next generation of Windows services. ( see
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/net/ )

We know for instance that :
The "Mercury" team at http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/ announced
the delivery of a back-end targetting the ".NET" platform.
Haskell compilers targetting ".NET" are cited in articles about ".NET".

Is such a back-end planned for the Clean compiler ?
What is the position of the Clean development staff regarding microsoft's
".NET" platform ?

Though we can't for the moment officially commit ourselves to a definitive
choice, we are contemplating using Clean for the superior development tools
it offers on Windows platforms, and its closeness to the Haskell98
language, in case a source port would be necessary...

Best regards, Fabien TODESCATO