bitmaps, portability and the Universe

Peter Achten peter88@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:35:57 -0700

Dear Jerzy,

At 18:17 23-5-00 +0100, you wrote:

>...Why cannot I treat a bitmap
>as a strict, unboxed array, and have the access to all the pixels?
You could, but currently you'd have to implement that yourself, including
writing/reading to file and drawing.

>I asked simply whether such low-level (pixel-wise) operations are
>portable (i.e. written in Clean) or not. All that might still be
>portable, I might write (if I knew how...) a .dll written in "C".
>(Or a .so under Unix, if the dynamic loader works).
If you implement bitmaps in Clean, then they are obviously portable. If you
want to use platform features for fast rendering you have to provide
implementations per platform.

>Once more. I do not demand that you implement this or that. I *ask*
>whether an ambitious user could do something.
Maybe you? ;-)

Cheers,
Peter Achten