bitmaps, portability and the Universe

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:17:15 +0100

Peter Achten cites my pseudo-quoting:

> >"the only sensible information one can retrieve from a bitmap
> >  is its size".
>
> I don't know where you got the quote from: in the Tutorial to the Clean
> Object I/O Library the word "sensible" is not present...

Sorry, sorry, it was just a thought stream, without any ambition to
be faithful.

Your remark is very just.
Only ... I stil don't have my answer! Why cannot I treat a bitmap
as a strict, unboxed array, and have the access to all the pixels?

> In a recent reply to a question of Valery Khamenya (dated 20-4-2000) I
> mentioned that in the Object I/O library bitmap handling is in
> its infancy.
> I would like to have all the goodies you describe above as well...,
> however, it has low priority in our team.

===
Perfect.

Please, I don't want you to change your priorities. There is plenty
of things I *can* do myself, and I am willing to do that (one day...)

I asked simply whether such low-level (pixel-wise) operations are
portable (i.e. written in Clean) or not. All that might still be
portable, I might write (if I knew how...) a .dll written in "C".
(Or a .so under Unix, if the dynamic loader works).

Once more. I do not demand that you implement this or that. I *ask*
whether an ambitious user could do something.

Thank you for all your prompt answers.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk