use gui to build gui

Adrian Hey ahey@iee.org
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:03:30 +0100 (BST)

On Sat 17 Jul, Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira wrote:
> Ana couldn=B4t understand how to use the library to create dinamic
> menus and dialogs. She couldn't understand the hints that people sent
> her either. She became very frustrated with the results of her
> research, stopped working in the project, and went to the
> Netherlands, in order to learn a few words of Dutch and try to get=20
> some information about functional programming.

I tried to do similar things (create menus dynamically etc). I also failed
miserably. Fortunately, I was only messing about and it wasn't particularly
important to me, so penance in the Netherlands was unnecessary.

It was frustrating though. I can't help feeling that this should have been
as easy as list processing, but it wasn't. I think my problem (and Ana's)
was lack of understanding of type systems and overloading more than FP.

Regards
--=20
Adrian Hey