Open Clean Source (rinus plasmeijer)

Jean-Luc Delatre jld@CLUB-INTERNET.FR
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:02:48 +0100

rinus plasmeijer wrote:

> Hy folks,
>
> We will discuss the open source request in our team.
> The main reason for us currently not to distribute the source code is
> that we fear all kinds of not working variants we will be blamed for and

Licensing terms might alleviate that.
Open source software does not necessarily diverge.
(see Eric S. Raymond  comments to the halloween papers:
http://www.opensource.org/halloween1.html look for "Code Forking")

> lots of questions we will have to answer about the internal structure of
> the Clean system.

Of course the logic of a functional language compiler is no child's play
but this means you don't have yet a documentation of the internals for
your
own team usage.
However, what has been coded did not come out of thin air.
Why not just refering each module to the already published papers (yours
or others) which are related to the algorithms used, the kind of
problems
delt with etc... ?
And just refuse to answer questions, or may be, only if they do not
already
exhibit a sufficient understanding of the subject matter (at *your*
discretion)

You might have surprises if many enlightened enthusiats pore over your
code...

-- Jean-Luc Delatre
mailto:jld@jeanluc.fr.eu.org
http://www.dvdhunter.com/jld/index.html