Open Clean Source

Robert Gasperoni robert@inthenet.sm
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:01:22 +0100

I would like to contribute to the Open Source Problem:

usually Free Access to the Source Code of a compiler is useful if you want
to improve performance, correcting bugs or personalize the compiler to your
needs.

But the problem with Clean is not the compiler, is the Enviroment tools
like IDE,  which need to be improved more faster than the compiler. The
Clean language is really appreciable, but in GUI Applications, part of the
development time is spent to produce the code for the GUI Interface,
instead of developing the functionality of the application. So a major
improve in the IDE is important, and opening the source could fastening the
development of solutions, but they will be platform dependent, breaking out
the goal of the Clean Team: a platform independent language and Tools.

What I really require more, are a better documentation on the Clean
Functions Libraries, because a developer needs them more that the Source
code of the compiler. We must remember that the goal is not to develop an
high performing compiler only, but build an Environment to develop good
software for large applications (or not? Could someone correct me?)

I am waiting for the Clean 2.0 Version to see the improvement to the
environment tools.

Robert Gasperoni