Open Source Clean?

Douglas P. Wilson dpwilson@island.net
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:07:07 -0800

 OLIVIER LEFEVRE <olefevre@usa.net> wrote:

> although Clean is a very interesting system, there is little mention
> of it anywhere: the talk is always of Haskell, SML or Erlang. Maybe it
> is time for the Clean team to consider following the excellent example
> of the Erlang team and release the source?

The source is available for Haskell and SML, too, and I don't think it's
a coincidence that these are more popular languages.   Learning a
functional programming language is a large investment of time that is
not undertaken lightly, and many people feel reluctant to invest that
much time in a language whose fate is in the hands of a few developers
at perhaps a single university.    I think having open source would
go a long way towards giving Clean a following and supporters.

      dpw

Douglas P. Wilson     dpwilson@island.net
http://www.island.net/~dpwilson/index.html
http://www.SocialTechnology.org/index.html