toInt

Pieter Koopman pieter@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:21:16 +0100

At 05:14 PM 12/20/98 +0100, Rolf-Thomas Happe wrote:
>Well, fine.  However, my point was the lack of specification, not discontent
>with the observed behaviour.

We plan to improve the documentation also. The intention is to make toInt
as similar to ordinary integers as possible.

>By the way, is the Clean scanner/parser
>(or any other production system) implemented with parser combinators?
Just curious.

The current Clean system 1.3 in not implemented in Clean. You cannot expect
parser combinators there. The new Clean compiler, Clean 2.0, is written in
Clean. However we doe not use parser combinators. The reason is that we did
not have an efficient implementation of parser combinators before we start
writing the parser. It should be possible to implement an efficient parser
using the new parser combinators (as presented on IFL'98), but we do not
think that it is wise to develop a new scanner/parser at this moment.

Merry Christmas, Pieter Koopman