Problems with Clean 1.3 on 68K Mac

Matt Fairtlough m.fairtlough@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:58:34 GMT

Hello, Clean people.

Background:

I am new to this list; I lecture in Computer Science at Sheffield
University, UK.  My research interests are in logic, formal
verification and programming language semantics. My department has
just (with some encouragement from me:-) decided to change from
teaching Lisp as a first language to our undergraduate students to
teaching Clean.  I may well end up teaching the course myself.  I hope
it will turn out to be a good decision!

Our 120-odd first year students will (probably) be using PCs running
Windows95 or 98, but I use a Mac myself.

Problem: most of the IO examples in the Clean 1.3 distribution fail to
run on my Mac Quadra 610. The exception is the SimpleDataBase, with
which I experience no problems. I am running system 7.5, with over
52MBytes of main memory.  The compilation and code-generation stages
proceed normally, but during the linking process I get an error
message:

error: file [Picture] too large (>32K)  [some stats]

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks,

Matt.