Rhapsody memory,was Re: Memory on the Mac

Alan Grover awgrover@umich.edu
Wed, 27 May 1998 17:44:47 -0500

Adrian Hey worte:
>Does anybody know when we can expect to get to see Rhapsody?

They say 3 months or so. But you should ignore all predictions of software
release, of course.

>Will it work on my shiny new G3?

Yes. We are running DR2 on shiny new G3's. Fairly stable.

>Can we safely assume that Clean & Clean Apps will run in the 'Blue Box'?

Yes. Just about any MacOS app will run in bluebox. One engineer here is
using Rhapsody/blue-box as his development machine, running certain
applications in blue-box. And if those certain apps (hint: word processor,
large market share) run, then compatibility is very good. He also runs
Eudora and has run various browsers.

On the other hand, Clean should be able to be built for Rhapsody as a
regular Unix app. Rhapsody is BSD on a Mach kernal.

>I seem to remember (from a few years ago) a spiffy OS called 'Pink' was
>promised. Whatever happened to this?

Uh, I think Pink became Taligent and died. The left-behind bits ("blue")
became OS8. Some ideas returned to become Copeland and died. Uh, I think a
couple more iterations of "and died" goes in there somewhere. Taligent had
some very cool ideas about frameworks, etc. One might say it was the next
generation of stuff after NextStep's frameworks.

>Perhaps Rhapsody also has a Pink Box.

Well, it has a yellow box, formerly known as OpenStep. Apple was careful to
fire or discourage any engineer that had an idea of how to do computing
differently, so I think they finally rooted out all that Pink stuff.

---
"Alan Grover, Technical Pb" awgrover@umich.edu
+1 (743) 647-5778
Project Leader
Health Media Research Lab, Cancer Center
5D04 North Ingalls Building, Mail Stop 0471
300 North Ingalls
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0471