How to compile Clean from the command line?

Ron Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 20 May 1998 21:50:52 +0200

Ana Maria Abr=E3o wrote (to the Clean discussion list):

> 1) I would like to compile Clean from the command line [...]

(I assume you're using Windows 95/NT). This is currently not possible
because the linker (written in Clean) is integrated in the IDE.
We will probably make it possible to compile Clean with command line
utilities. We need this ourselves, for example because Clean 2.0 will
be written in Clean and we want to automate our build process.

Another possibility is to make to IDE scriptable, but this involves
more work.

> 2) There is another thing. It seems that Clean environment for Windows
> has a small bug, which appears only immediately after instalation.
> Then, Clean doesn't find the path to _startup0.o, which is in Clean
> System Files, inside StdEnv [...]

Clean 1.3 comes with a prefences file in which the default paths are set
correctly. This should simplify the installation.

> 3) A few months ago, Arjan asked for suggestions about a new interface.
> I think that Clean's interface is quite good. A few fixes would improve
> it. For example, function keys should be well behaved.
> [...]

Arjan no longer works for our group, but he has finished an editor for the
Clean Object IO library in which all function keys are configurable.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur