Clean vs. ADA

Ana Maria Abrão ana@ufu.br
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:19:42 +0000

Adrian Hey wrote:

> Phew! another essay completed and submitted for marking. Sorry all my
> messages are so long. I promise I'll go silent soon.

Don't! Your "essays" are very interesting, very interesting. By the way,
I wrote a lot of similar programs, both in C and in Clean. There were
programs to solve linear systems (direct Gauss elimination, and using
modern iterative algorithms), Fast Fourier transforms (1 and 2D),
filters, compression using delta modulation with Fractal prediction,
etc. I intended to chech only the speed of the generated code. C code
was slightly faster when compiled without assertions (20% faster), and
slightly slower when compiled with assertions. As for compilation time,
Clean was much, much faster than any C compiler I put my hands on. For
instance, it is much faster than MSVC.