Memory on the Mac, was Re: A few observations Re: Clean

Paul Evenblij paulpaul@knoware.nl
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:23:46 +0200

Alan Grover said:
>In the thread "Re: A few observations Re: Clean", on Wed, Apr 8, 1998 4:37
>PM, Adrian Hey <mailto:ahey@iee.org> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>
>This is exactly what happens on the Mac, though usually the applications
>crash when they exhaust their memory partition. The user has to quit, then

Incidentally, this is due to bad design most of the time. There are
strategies to avoid crashing for lack of heap space. Granted, they are
cumbersome.

>>Have I missed something here?
>>Am I being stupid?
>
>Well, you didn't know how primitive the MacOS memory management is. So, I
>would say that it is not you that is stupid. (Hey, for 1980 the system was
>actually pretty great. It was WAY better than DOS, but it hasn't improved
>that much since then).

No. We do indeed hope that Rhapsody will be everything it's promised to be,
and preferably more.

Paul

// Paul Evenblij               // paulpaul@knoware.nl
// Utrecht, The Netherlands    // paul_evenblij@nl.compuware.com