Communication with the no-functional world.

rinus plasmeijer rinus@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:44:19 +0200

Hi Alan,

You have produced a long list of wishes. Thank you for your input.
We are already working on some of them.
Most wishes on the Clean language level will have to wait till the new Clean 2.0 compiler (written in Clean) is operational.
We have estimated that it will take at least half a year from now...
Our group is expanding, so we can do more work, but it will take some time before the new members in our group can contribute to kernel activities.

Back to your list.

>>Many people complain about types, classes, lack of litterate programs,
>>et
>>I think that what is badly missing in Clean is not better class system
>>or user interface, but a good interface with the non-functional world.
(...)

Yes, I agree completely.

>My immediate impulse is to allow "import" of .h files, it may be better for
>the language to require repackaging of interfaces in glue. I could live
>with repackaging if it was well supported (documented, non-tricky, using
>existing tools).

We have a new tool to make interfaces with C more easily. We will use this tool to interface out new Clean compiler with the existing code generator (written in C).
This tool, which will become part of the Clean IDE, can read in a .h file.
In the .h file you can specify in C comment what kind of Clean type is expected.
We will distribute the tool as soon as we have tested it.

Greetings,

Rinus