Martin's Miscs

Matthew Lye mlye@trentu.ca
Mon, 2 Feb 98 13:33:30 -0500

  I've just downloaded Martin Wierich's misc functions, and I'd like to
encourage him to further anotate them.  It strikes me that the sharing of
libraries is *extremely* useful in Clean;  perhaps when the web world
moves more towards XML we can agree on some sort of DTD for XML markup,
to be included within /* */ pairs:  this could facilitate the online
description of functions within a module, searching for functions in a
central library, etcetera.

  An even nicer idea, which insofar as I can see would be easy to
implement, would be to have the Clean parser ignore HTML, XML, SGML,
CSS[1..], or DSSSL mark-up.  These all depend on <...> braces.  (It would
be good if the editor could optionally do this).  This would involve a
quick-and-dirty pre-parser that simply strips the tags.  Needless to say,
this would strike a blow on behalf of literate programing, would
facilitate the description, presentantion, and sharing of Clean code via
the web, and would set us all on a path towards the easy implementation
of luxurious, word-processor type XML/SGML Clean editors, replete with
display and parsing functions.  For instance, wouldn't it be nice to have
a background syntax checker that told the editor to render functions in a
nice shade of orange or yellow unless and until they were syntactically
correct, or highlighted absolutely incorrect lines in red?  Wouldn't it
be nice to have optional colour-coding to represent variable types?
Wouldn't it be nice to display mathematical equations in a mathematical
rather than a computer science form?  Although this is all sugar, it
would be nice if Clean was designed to support these non-proprietary
formats, and I suspect that even the most formal computer scientist
occasionally has a sweet tooth.

  (Martin's email is 1wierich@informatik.uni-hamburg.de)

  Matt Lye.

(PS, Martin, my uncle is a dentist in Hamburg, so you need not fear such
suggestions;  I'll write you an introduction).