Quick question regarding indirection cells...

Marco Kesseler mke@oce.nl
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:39:21 +0100

>It's a good question!  No, I don't know of any earlier work
>on indirections.  I regard what I wrote in my book as a writing-down
>of folk-lore, certainly not a formal treatment.  David Lester did
>prove some properties of graph reduction in his thesis (Oxford),
>though not this one I think.  There's quite a bit more about
>indirections and indirection chains in my other book (also out of
>print, but available online) in the context of the TIM machine
>where the issue of indirections is especially delicate.
>
>Maybe some Clean people know of other work.  Certainly, a lot
>of work on the foundations of graph reduction has taken place
>in that community.

Pehaps they do, but note that the Clean implementation avoids
generating indirection nodes alltogether. Nodes get overwritten
by their result, not by indirections to it.

Marco

Marco Kesseler
Oce-Technologies B.V.
St. Urbanusweg 43, Venlo, The Netherlands
P.O. Box 101, 5900 MA Venlo, The Netherlands
telephone +31 77 359 5158
fax       +31 77 359 5450
e-mail    mke@oce.nl