Software written in Clean.

Ana Maria Abrao ana@ufu.br
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 12:36:44 +0000

Nick Kallen wrote:

> If anyone has written any software or developed any libraries that they
> think would be worth sharing with the world, please respond to this message
> and list what it is. There is currently no Clean software repository, so
> letting everyone know that you have something interesting via this list
> would be beneficial to many, especially myself.
>
> To start the process:
>
> - I'm putting the finishing touches on a very simple program: a Cascading
> Style Sheets parser.
>
> - I also implemented all of the library functions described in the Parser
> Combinators chapter in the Clean book (no hard task, but I don't think this
> comes with the Clean distribution). I know another one exists somewhere,
> because I downloaded it from somebody's website; however, I  believe this
> library precedes the writing of the Clean book draft--so, despite many
> similarities is not identical to the stuff described in the chapter.
>
> -Nick

Dear Nick.
I am writing a code generator for the Java Virtual Machine (in Clean, of
course). I think you will like it. Besides, you will be able to use it
with your parser combinators to generate applets. By the way, the idea
of a software repository is very good. In fact, I think that Clean is
not more popular due to the lack of such a repository. Even today, there
are a lot of people programming in Fortran. Why? Because there are a lot
of numerical packages written in Fortran. The same thing could be said
about languages such as C. Thus, go ahead and try do implement your
repository.