[FieldTrip] Help Regarding the Source Level Connectivity

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Mar 7 14:26:23 CET 2024

Hi Kaniska,

Welcome on board! With respect to source level analysis of connectivity I would like to suggest and recommend NOT to use the rawtrial (or singletrial) options in ft_sourceanalysis. This corner of the code is not particularly robust. Rather I would use a combination of ft_sourceanalysis (with cfg.<method>.keepfilter = ‘yes’;) and ft_virtualchannel, to get the single trial signal time courses, followed by a downstream post processing of the virtualchannel data to obtain a connectivity estimate.

This being said, I think that the cause of the error that you get may be due to the fact that you try to compute a frequency domain measure of connectivity based on time domain input (since you used lcmv). Coherence requires frequency domain data as input (as can e.g. be obtained with cfg.method = ‘pcc’ or ‘dics’ in ft_sourceanalysis, but PROVIDED you have used ft_freqanalysis first on the time domain data). Alternatively, you’d need to spectrally transform the source level single trial time courses (as obtained with lcmv, mne or whatever) before supplying the result to ft_connectivityanalysis.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs