[FieldTrip] Using FieldTrip with non-convex headreco meshes

Nunez Ponasso, Guillermo gcnunez at wpi.edu
Fri Feb 16 15:51:23 CET 2024

Dear FieldTrip community,

I am trying to use FieldTrip for dipole fitting using STL meshes that have been processed using Meshlab.
Some of these meshes are generated using SimNIBS headreco meshes, which include features such as the zygomatic arch into the skull mesh.

When using ft_prepare_headmodel, FieldTrip checks that 2*(npos - 2) = ntri,  which I believe is checking whether or not the mesh has Euler characteristic equal to 2 (same as the sphere).
This condition is not met with the STL meshes that I am using since each zygomatic arch gives a "handle" and this is creating two holes into the topology.

Is there a workaround so that I can still use FieldTrip on these meshes without having to alter them?

Best regards,

Guillermo Nunez Ponasso

Post-doctoral scholar at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.