[FieldTrip] EMG Processing for Coherence Computation

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Apr 26 13:13:07 CEST 2024

Hi Patrick,

Please use pubmed to find good practice processing parameters for CMC. Most of the seminal work dates from the end 90’s early 2000’s. You could look up my old work (e.g. Schoffelen et al Science 2005), or look into the references that we used to build upon.

Note that the highpass filter step is applied prior to performing the rectification step. The rectification is needed because we use the EMG as a proxy for the spiking activity of the spinal motor neurons, the firing rhythm of which may be in sync with the EEG/MEG signal obtained from sensorimotor cortical areas. In order to ‘boost’ the information in the EMG signal that pertains to this firing rhythm, one would need to look at the spectral decomposition of the signal’s envelope. The latter is obtained by the rectification. The highpassfilter is needed to remove signal components from the EMG that are non-specific to the firing of the motor neurons. Some people advocate even higher frequencies given that the majority of the energy of EMG spikes lives in a frequency band between 40 and 200 Hz, give or take.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs