[FieldTrip] Problems with rereferencing using ft_preprocessing

Boessen, D. (Dewi) d.boessen at amsterdamumc.nl
Tue Apr 9 11:06:42 CEST 2024

Hi all,

I'm currently working with EEG data and so far everything is going smoothly. However, I first used average as rereferencing method, but we came to the conclusion this was not the most preferable method for our study.
So, instead of average, I wanted to use laplace. The code runs smoothly and without errors. But when I compute the time frequency plots, the output is exactly the same for both referencing methods.

This is the code I use for laplace:
cfg=[];
cfg.channel     = [1:31];
cfg.reref       = 'yes';
cfg.refmethod   = 'laplace';
cfg.refchannel  = 'all';
data_eeg_avg    = ft_preprocessing(cfg, data_eeg);

And this is the code I use for average:
cfg=[];
cfg.channel     = [1:31];
cfg.reref       = 'yes';
cfg.refmethod   = 'avg';
cfg.refchannel  = 'all';
data_eeg_avg    = ft_preprocessing(cfg, data_eeg);

I did plot the signal of one channel after both methods and there is a visible difference between the two, so the function itself is working properly (I think). I also checked my other steps, such as filtering and epoching, but also there I cannot find anything out of the ordinary or that I'm using older data.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before or has any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

Kind regards, Dewi