[FieldTrip] Implementation for wavelet-enhanced ICA

Jan Ostrowski j.ostrowski at uke.de
Thu Jun 1 14:09:58 CEST 2023

Dear FieldTrip community,

I have been wondering whether there is an implementation in FieldTrip
that allows the use of wavelet-enhanced ICA, since I have not been able
to find one yet.

My aim is to preprocess EEG data that should later be used for analysis
of phase-based connectivity. However, conventional ICA is said to cause
distortions in amplitude and phase, and therefore lead to confounds in
the data when analyzing connectivity. In wavelet-enhanced ICA, on the
other hand, one would use discrete wavelet transform on the
artifact-related independent components to filter out the artifacts and
keep the components, rather than rejecting the whole component and with
it also valuable signal. That is my understanding at least, so far.

If there is no such implementation in FieldTrip, can you think of other
toolboxes that might have it? Maybe somebody implemented this in the
past and could give some pointers on the exact steps of computation.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Jan Ostrowski

--
Jan Ostrowski, M.Sc.
Department of Systems Neuroscience

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.uke.de__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-K4pClO9-BOMFGq3-K6m2_GUOoH6Fq7IOUPxyFoxPdxcc_QnJKHze1QrY8HjaoLy9g-36Z7BQ5lxv3Gft11v4ApkFg$
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Christian Gerloff (Vorsitzender), Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Blanche Schwappach-Pignataro, Marya Verdel