[FieldTrip] Interpolating atlas and comparing ROIs across subjects

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 31 09:38:17 CEST 2024

Hi,

The idea behind using individually back-projected template grids is to facilitate downstream processing (e.g. no need to ‘upsample’ to an artificially high resolution when doing an interpolation/normalisation to template space). When using backprojected templates, the resulting individual grids may differ topologically w.r.t. one another in terms of their ‘inside’ fields. Dipole positions that count as inside for some - but not all - subjects will not count for the average, so it is defendible to just use the intersect of the inside mask across all subjects.

W.r.t. interpolation of the atlas onto the individual participants: I wouldn’t know how to do this, but you’d need to anyhow coregister the individual anatomies to the template space in which the atlas is defined (e.g. by means of ft_volumenormalise) so in the end of the day it boils down to the same thing (at the expense of a lot of extra work). In other words: fine to downsample the atlas and use a fixed parcellation for all subjects. Spatial resolution is probably not whopping anyhow.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs