[FieldTrip] Source Point Count & Atlas Point Count Discrepancy

Konstantinos Tsilimparis konstantinos.tsilimparis at outlook.com
Thu Jul 4 03:40:53 CEST 2024

Dear Sarah,

I would first recommend verifying that the coordinate systems and units of your atlas and template MRI are consistent. However, this does not appear to be the issue in your case.

The likely cause of the discrepancy is that out of the 6871 dipoles marked as “inside” the brain , there are regions such as the brain ventricles and the brainstem. These regions are not part of the 116 AAL ROIs, as depicted in Figure 2 of this paper<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350967572_A_Deep_Learning_Approach_to_Predict_Autism_Spectrum_Disorder_Using_Multisite_Resting-State_fMRI> (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350967572_A_Deep_Learning_Approach_to_Predict_Autism_Spectrum_Disorder_Using_Multisite_Resting-State_fMRI). Furthermore, your 7.5 mm source model is relatively coarse, and the boundary between "inside" and "outside" is not well-defined, leading to points that are “inside” the brain not assigned to any AAL ROI.

To visualize this better, you can plot the atlas-interpolated source model using the following code:

cfg = [];

cfg.funparameter = 'tissue';

cfg.funcolormap = 'jet';

ft_sourceplot(cfg, sourcemodel2);

Additionally, by specifying cfg.method = 'surface';, you can check the brain surface. You will observe that some boundary points are not assigned to any AAL ROI (e.g., note the dark blue spots on the occipital lobe):

cfg = [];

cfg.method = 'surface';

cfg.funparameter = 'tissue';

cfg.funcolormap = 'jet';