[FieldTrip] ft_read_data gives discontinuous data warning with NeuraLynx .csc files

Peter Kaskan peter.kaskan at einsteinmed.edu
Fri Jan 20 18:43:44 CET 2023

Hello all,

I am recording intracranial EEG data with a NeuraLynx Atlas system.

I'm using ft_read_data on my folder of NeuraLynx .csc channels, but I am getting a warning message.

Warning: discontinuous recording, predicted number of timestamps and observed number of timestamps differ by 157859.33

Please consult https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/discontinuous_neuralynx__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!7-_XqLVpShrv9VUuhF00Lr3AAbVFRKcf7GHuVU6BbKsOQD7GYgiyfblZNzX6KCdvgDlJ_K09LwPU2DqtoZA0WcvCZ23Y9wClew$

This little bit of info only seems to tell one how to deal with that if true; not if this is an error. I do not believe the data is discontinuous.

Has anyone got this discontinuous error message with NeuraLynx .csc files that should be / were recorded continuously?

The low-level read_neuralynx_ncs function detects the presence of gaps in the .ncs file and issues a warning.
Can the detection fail, do I really have discontinuous data?

Thanks, Peter

Peter M. Kaskan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Leo M. Davidoff Department of Neurological Surgery
1410 Pelham Parkway South
Kennedy Center Room 429B
Bronx, NY 10461