[FieldTrip] PSD units

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Apr 11 17:08:39 CEST 2023

Hi Adam,

What’s your question? I have some difficulty distilling it from your e-mail.

I assume that you have visited the discussion list’s archive, where you will have noticed that questions regarding the units of the output of ft_freqanalysis pop up now and then.

Nobody seems to have made an effort so far, to sort it out once and for all, by making a FAQ out of this. I think it would be great if you could start this piece of documentation by describing the normalisation that FT uses in ft_freqanalysis (and the underlying ft_specest_<> functions), and how this relates to plain matlab, or any other software package.

Perhaps you could start by studying the difference between the power spectrum, and power spectral density. The fact that you use the term PSD in your e-mail, whereas - as far as I know - fieldtrip does not use this terminology, nor claims that it computes the PSD.

Good luck,
Jan-Mathijs